Alpha Lipoic Acid, The Universal Antioxidant
Alpha lipoic acid is a very powerful antioxidant and therefore has many benefits in the body, and specific benefits to the eyes. Particular eye conditions it helps include glaucoma, cataracts and diabetic retinopathy.
- It can help improve visual acuity and color perception for those with glaucoma. Filina, et al., Vestn Oftalmol 1995 Oct-Dec;111(4):6-8
- Has strong neuroprotective properties which is why it is recommended for glaucoma. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 1995 Jul;15(4):624-30
- Alpha Lipoic Acid can prevent cataract formation as well as nerve degeneration and radiation injury. Packer, et al. Free Radic Biol Med 1995 Aug;19(2):227-50
- Alpha Lipoic Acid can significantly reduce diabetic cataract formation, as well as neuropathy, and would seem to be an ideal neuroprotective substance in the treatment of all oxidative brain and neural disorders involving free radical processes. Packer, L., Ann N y Acad Sci 1994 Nov 17;738:257-64. Packer, L. Free Radic Biol Med 1997;22(1-2):359-78
- Preliminary (6) and double-blind (7)(8) trials have found that supplementing 600-1,200 mg of lipoic acid per day improves insulin sensitivity and the symptoms of diabetic neuropathy. (6) Ruhnau KJ, Meissner HP, Finn JR, et al. Effects of 3-week oral treatment with the antioxidant thioctic acid (alpha-lipoic acid) in symptomatic diabetic polyneuropathy. Diabet Med 1999;16:1040-3. (7)(8) Ruhnau KJ, Meissner HP, Finn JR, et al. Effects of 3-week oral treatment with the antioxidant thioctic acid (alpha-lipoic acid) in symptomatic diabetic polyneuropathy. Diabet Med 1999;16:1040-3.(8) Ziegler D, Schatz H, Conrad F, et al.
- Effects of treatment with the antioxidant alpha-lipoic acid on cardiac autonomic neuropathy in NIDDM patients. A 4-month randomized controlled multicenter trial (DEKAN Study). Diabetes Care 1997;20:369-73.