On a tight budget?
Our singlemost important recommendation is
Purple Gold Formula
Purple Gold Formula
Great cream for reducing the black under eyes.
VisionTone (wild crafted herbal formula) 2 oz.
Vision Boost (wild-crafted herbal formula) 2 oz.
Adreno Trophic 100 caps
Dr. Grossman Whole Food Combo Special
Dark Circles Under Eyes
Prevention & Treatment of Dark Circles & Bags Under the Eyes
diet, nutrition & self-help information
Dark circles or black circles under the eyes are often the result of some combination of the following: lack of sleep, chronic stress, menstrual disorders, poor diet and/or fatigue which can result from illness or medications for example. For others, dark circles are a hereditary trait . People who suffer from allergies and sensitivities often have a bigger problem with dark circles as well.3
In some cases, black or dark circles can be eliminated.
- Read about one example of a natural treatment.
- See self help tips including diet, nutrition, and home remedies.
From a Chinese medicine perspective, the kidneys are connected to the adrenal glands (and overall endocrine system). Therefore, kidney energy imbalances due to for example lack of sleep, chronic stress and/or poor diet can result in Kidney Qi Deficiency. Related symptoms can include fatigue or adrenal exhaustion often resulting in dark circles under the eyes. It may help to meet with a nutritionist/allergist to rule out foods or other allergens that may be contributing to this condition.
Sufficient sleep, stress management and eating a healthy diet are a couple of the simplest home remedies recommended.
- Lack of sleep
- Nutrition, poor diet
- Exposure to sun
- Allergies, asthma, eczema
- Pregnancy and Menstruation
- Adrenal exhaustion
- Kidney energetic deficiency (Chinese Medicine)
- Rest and relaxation
- Allergy medications
- Light therapy
- Autologous fat transplantation2
- Laser and bleaching techniques4
Self Help & Complementary Care
As part of natural eye care, the healing properties of flowers and plants are used to treat minor problems such as itchy eyes, redness of the eyes and infected (overly irritated) eyes. Purple-Gold Formula is a Chinese formulation that reduces the darkness under the eyes. It is a combination of four Chinese herbs including Lithospermum, Coiix, Licorice, and Dong Gui as well as vitamin E.
"Due to continued steroid medication, I still have very severe "moon face"
with horribly hooded eyes, extremely discolored eyelids and deep under eye dark circles
and bags. I am told moon face will last months, maybe years. I have tried every cream and
ointment I can find to help with the dark eyelids and circles/bags -- from drugstore brands
to expensive names and those recommended by my Mayo dermatologist- no results, no improvements.
"I recently stumbled across your website during a new search for products to help with the eyelids and under eyes and ordered your Purple Gold Formula. Honestly, I had no big expectations for $18. As usual, I treated only 1 eye as directed (morning and evening) so I could gauge any improvements against the other eye. To my utter amazement and delight- after 2 days I am seeing a very noticeable improvement under the eye!" I'm writing to first thank you for the product."
--J.W., Scottsdale, AZ 06/2012
- Supplementation with nutrients that have been found to be helpful.
- Lithospermum is traditionally used in Chinese medicine to cool blood, stimulate circulation of blood, and eliminate toxins from the skin.
- Licorice is considered to be an expectorant, anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic and anti-arthritic.
- Dong Gui helps the body to eliminate excess fluid retained by tissues around the eye.
- Vitamin E enhances the body's ability to cleanse the system of free radicals and eliminate toxins.
- "Six Ingredient Pill" is a Traditional Chinese Medicine formulation that supports healthy kidney functioning4.
- Diet & Lifestyle Prevention Protocol - see our recommendations for preventing eye disease for detailed information about that which can help or harm your vision and health.
There are several natural (home) remedies available to keep eyes healthy and to deal with (and treat) minor eye problems such as redness and puffy eyes.
Cucumber or Cucumber Water
Containing calcium, vitamins A and C, and magnesium, the cucumber is known for its soothing properties. It helps relax the eyes and reduces redness. Cucumber water or thin slices of cucumber can also be applied to the skin around the eyes, especially if the skin is looking dry. Leaving the slices on the skin for at least fifteen minutes while relaxing will make your eyes look like new!
Agrimony Leaves or Flowers
Make a weak tea out of marigold flowers. When it has cooled, soak two cotton wool pads in the tea and place them on the eyes for ten minutes. Alternatively, you can wash your eyes with the tea itself.
More home remedies
- Eight hours of sleep is a must for all of us, especially for people having dark circles under their eyes.
- Diet: Eat a whole-foods, plant-based diet, drink plenty of water, and avoid alcohol, coffee, tea and caffeinated soft drinks. These go a long way in preventing bags, circles and wrinkles.
- Tea Bag Treatment: Try applying a cold compress of rosemary tea to increase circulation, which helps reduce swelling around the eyes. Make tea by bringing a half-cup of fresh rosemary and a quart of water to a boil. Steep for 20 minutes, then strain and chill. Soak a washcloth in the tea, ring out extra liquid anal place over eyes for 15 to 20 minutes, once a day, as needed.
- Acupressure: This is a great circulation-boosting easy exercise that you can do yourself. Close your eyes and gently press your ring finger underneath one eye, moving from the inside corner to the outside corner. Do this 10 to 15 times. Then repeat on the other eye. You might also see our free eye exercises to help relax the muscles around your eyes.
- Cold compress: Close your eyes and gently cover them with a cold washcloth for about five minutes, several times a day. This will slightly constrict your blood vessels, minimizing darkness, and may also slightly reduce the puffiness that some people experience.
- Moisturizer: You can slightly plump up your skin using a good moisturizer, that contains vitamin C, licorice or fennel, and stabilized oxygen. Vitamin C is an antioxidant that protects skin cells from damage and supports collagen production. Licorice and fennel remove inflammation, and stabilized oxygen is a form of hydrogen peroxide that promotes circulation.
- Spread on the sunscreen. Use a sunscreen especially made for the face with a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 15, but preferably 20, "all day every day," to protect the skin under your eyes.
- Freeze some parsley in ice cubes. Use the parsley cubes instead of eye creams to diminish dark circles and puffiness. Parsley is packed with chlorophyll which helps fade darkness, while the ice cubes reduce the swelling.
- Some other Potato/Cucumber combinations that are helpful.
- Close your eyes and cover eyelids with slices of raw potato or cucumber for 15-20 minutes. Wash with warm water and apply a cream.
- Grate a cucumber, squeeze to take out its juice and refrigerate. Make a mixture of lemon juice, lanolin cream and cucumber juice and apply around the eye for 10-15 minutes.
- Dip some cotton in a 1:1 mixture of potato and cucumber juices. Put the cotton on your eyelids and keep for 20 minutes. Wash your eyes with cold water.
- Lemon/Tomato combinations are helpful.
- Apply a mixture of lemon and tomato juice (equal parts) on the black circles 2 times a day.
- Make a paste out of the following:
- 1 tsp. tomato juice,
- 1/2 tsp. lemon juice,
- a pinch of turmeric powder, and
- 1 tsp. of flour.
- Turmeric - pineapple paste try a paste of turmeric with pineapple juice.
- Mint apply crushed mint around the eye.
- Almond Oil massage with almond oil under and around eyes at bed time daily for 2 weeks and see the improvement. Almond helps to remove dark circles, and is an excellent "skin food".
- Vitamin E Rub the area with a powdered Vitamin E capsule and wipe off with a mixture of honey and egg white.
- Alternating hot and cold cloths alternate a hot (but comfortable) washcloth with a cold washcloth under your eyes for 10 minutes. Before you go to bed, moisten the darkened skin with almond oil.
- Egg White: Astringent egg white tightens your pores and reduces puffy bagginess. Egg whites have lots of the B vitamins that promote good circulation and reduce inflammation. You'll want to make sure your eggs have been tested for Salmonella. Dab half a teaspoon of one raw egg white on the clean, dry skin around your eyes only - don't get it into your eyes. Leave it on for about 15 minutes until it dries and then rinse well with warm water. Finally, wash your hands with soap and water.
1. Journal of Cutaneous and Aesthetic Surgery, Vol 5, Issue 3, 2012, Rashmi Sarkar, Dept.
Dermatology, Maulana Azad
Medical College, New Delhi, India
2. Roh MR, Treatment of infraorbital dark circles by autologous fat transplantation: a pilot study, Br J Dermatol. 2009 May;160(5):1022-5.
3. Roh MR, Infraorbital dark circles: Definition, causes, & treatment options. Dermatologic Surgery. 2009;35:1163.
4. Momosawa A, et al. Combined therapy using Q-switched ruby laser and bleaching treatment with tretinoin and hydroquinone for periorbital skin hyperpigmentation in Asians. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2008;121:282.