Electromagnetic (EMF) Pollution
information on protecting yourself from radiation
Electromagnetic (EMF) pollution from electronic devices such as cell phones, microwaves, computers, TV's, etc. may have significant consequences on our health in the future, including higher incidences of brain tumors, Alzheimers and Parkinson's disease. However, most of us are not aware of the gradually escalating unhealthful effects of EMF's.
Although the World Health Organization has backed off from their 2003 decision that there is "sufficient evidence" to apply the precautionary principle to both power-frequency and high-frequency electromagnetic fields (EMFs), now saying there is very little evidence -- but there is a great deal of debate about the matter. Our posiiton is better to be safe.
The following may be caused by overexposure to EMF's:
Short term symptoms include:
- Memory loss or confusion
- Reduced alertness or ability to focus
Possible long term symptoms
- Decreased fertility
- Increased risk of breast cancer and other cancer
- Increased risk of neurodegenerative conditions including dementia, ALS, Parkinson's and motor neuron disease.
- Increased risk of heart problems, high blood pressure
- Increased risk of dizziness and nausea
- Increased risk of fatigue and sleep problems
- Research has shown that people under the age of 20 who use cellphones more than 1 hour a day have increased risk of developing malignant brain tumors.
- Use a wired headset - This keeps the antenna far away from your skull.
- Get used to texting - Texting also keeps the handset away from your brain, reducing the radiation risk.
- Don't use your cell phone as an alarm clock - If you use your phone as your wake-up call, you'll likely need to keep it close to your head; there's still radiation being emitted even when it's not taking calls.
- Don't carry your phone in your pocket - There's preliminary research to indicate that men who carry a phone in their pocket all day could be putting their fertility at risk, and women who carry their phones in their bra could be increasing their risk of breast cancer.
- Use a radiation-blocking case. These can reduce cell phone radiation by two-thirds.
- Young children exposed to cell phones used near their head may be particularly susceptible to eventual brain damage as their skulls and brain are not fully developed yet.
The Environmental Working Group, based in Washington, says it makes sense to chose a cellphone or wireless device with low radiation. They've made it easy by providing an interactive database with radiation ratings for more than 1,000 cellphones marketed in the United States on their Web site.