Xtra Info: Crohn's Disease Bibliography - Early Research
1. Mayberry JF, Rhodes J. Epidemiological aspects of Crohn's disease: a review of the literature. Gut 1984;886-99.
2. Heaton KW, Thornton JR, Emmett PM. Treatment of Crohn's disease with an unrefined-carbohydrate, fibre-rich diet. BMJ 1979;2(6193):764-6.
3. Brandes JW, Lorenz-Meyer H. Sugar free diet: a new perspective in the treatment of Crohn disease? Randomized, control study. Z Gastroneterol 1981;19:1-12.
4. Shoda R, Masueda K, Yamato S, Umeda N. Epidemiologic analysis of Crohn's disease in Japan: increased dietary intake of n-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids and animal protein relates to the increased incidence of Crohn's disease in Japan. Am J Clin Nutr 1996;63:741-5.
5. Riordan AM, Hunter JO, Cowan RE, et al. Treatment of active Crohn's disease by exclusion diet: East Anglian Multicentre Controlled Trial. Lancet 1993;342:1131-4.
6. Alic M., Baker's yeast in Crohn's disease-can it kill you? Am J Gastroenterol 1999;94:1711 [letter/review].
7. Wantke F, Gotz M, Jarisch R. Dietary treatment of Crohn's disease. Lancet 1994;343:113 [letter].
8. O'Morain C, Segal AW, Levi AJ. Elemental diet as primary treatment of acute Crohn's disease: a controlled trial. Br Med J (Clin Res Ed) 1984;288:1859-62.
9. Gorard DA, Hunt JB, Payne-James JJ, et al. Initial response and subsequent course of Crohn's disease treated with elemental diet or prednisolone. Gut 1993;34:1198-202.
10. Teahon K, Pearson M, Levi AJ, Bjarnason I. Practical aspects of enteral nutrition in the management of Crohn's disease. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 1995;19:365-8.
11. Raouf AH, Hildrey V, Daniel J, et al. Enteral feeding as sole treatment for Crohn's disease: controlled trial of whole protein v amino acid based feed and a case study of dietary challenge. Gut 1991;32:702-7.
12. Rigaud D, Cosnes J, Le Quintrec Y, et al. Controlled trial comparing two types of enteral nutrition in treatment of active Crohn's disease: elemental versus polymeric diet. Gut 1991;32:1492-7.
13. Park RH, Galloway A, Danesh BJ, et al. Double-blind controlled trial comparing elemental and polymeric diets as primary therapy in active Crohn's disease. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 1991;32:1492-7.
14. McDonald PJ, Fazio VW. What can Crohn's patients eat? Eur J Clin Nutr 1988;42:703-8.
15. Gaby AR. Commentary. Nutr Healing 1998;January:1,10-1 [review].
16. Persson PG, Ahlbom A, Hellers G. Diet and inflammatory bowel disease: a case-control study. Epidemiology 1992;3:47-52.
17. Cottone M, Rosselli M, Orlando A, et al. Smoking habits and recurrence in Crohn's disease. Gastroenterol 1994;106:643-8.
18. Leichtmann GA, Bengoa JM, Bolt MJG, Sitrin MD. Intestinal absorption of cholecalciferol and 25-hydrocycholecalciferol in patients with both Crohn's disease and intestinal resection. Am J Clin Nutr 1991;54:548-52.
19. Harris AD, Brown R, Heatley RV, et al. Vitamin D status in Crohn's disease: association with nutrition and disease activity. Gut 1985;26:1197-203.
20. Driscoll RH, Meredith SC, Sitrin M, Rosenberg IH. Vitamin D deficiency and bone disease in patients with Crohn's disease. Gastroenterol 1982;83:1252-8.
21. Vogelsang H, Ferenci P, Resch H, et al. Prevention of bone mineral loss in patients with Crohn's disease by long-term oral vitamin D supplementation. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 1995;7:609-14.
22. Mate J, Castanos R, Garcia-Samaniego J, Pajares JM. Does dietary fish oil maintain the remission of Crohn's disease: a case control study. Gastroenterology 1991;100:A228 [abstract].v 23. Belluzzi A, Brignola C, Campieri M, et al. Effect of an enteric-coated fish-oil preparation on relapses in Crohn's disease. N Engl J Med 1996;334:1557-60.
24. Lorenz R, Weber PC, Szimnau P, et al. Supplementation with n-3 fatty acids from fish oil in chronic inflammatory bowel disease-a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind cross-over trial. J Intern Med Suppl 1989;225:225-32.
25. Lorenz-Meyer H, Bauer P Nicolay C, et al. Omega-3 fatty acids and low carbohydrate diet for maintenance of remission in Crohn's disease. A randomized controlled multicenter trial. Study Group Members (German Crohn's Disease Study Group). Scand J Gastroenterol 1996;31:778-85.
26. Belluzzi A, Brignola C, Campieri M, et al. Effects of new fish oil derivative on fatty acid phospholipid-membrane pattern in a group of Crohn's disease patients. Dig Dis Sci 1994;39:2589-94.
27. Plein K, Hotz J. Therapeutic effects of Saccharomyces boulardii on mild residual symptoms in a stable phase of Crohn's disease with special respect to chronic diarrhea-a pilot study. Z Gastroenterol 1993;31:129-34.
28. Bleichner G, Blehaut H, Mentec H, Moyse D. Saccharomyces boulardii prevents diarrhea in critically ill tube-fed patients. A muticenter, randomized, double-blind placebo-controlled trial. Intensive Care Med 1997;23:517-23.
29. Imes S, Plinchbeck BR, Dinwoodie A, et al. Iron, folate, vitamin B-12, zinc, and copper status in out-patients with Crohn's disease: effect of diet counseling. J Am Dietet Assoc 1987;87:928-30.
30. Sandstead HH. Zinc deficiency in Crohn's disease. Nutr Rev 1982;40:109-12.
31. Driscoll RH Jr, Meredith SC, Sitrin M, et al. Vitamin D deficiency and bone disease in patients with Crohn's disease. Gastroenterology 1982;83:1252-8.
32. Dvorak AM. Vitamin A in Crohn's disease. Lancet 1980;i:1303-4.
33. Skogh M, Sundquist T, Tagesson C. Vitamin A in Crohn's disease. Lancet 1980; i:766 [letter].
34. Dvorak AM. Vitamin A in Crohn's Disease. Lancet 1980;i:1303-4 [letter].
35. Wright JP, Mee AS, Parfitt A, et al. Vitamin A therapy inpatients with Crohn's disease. Gastroenterology 1985;88:512-4.
36. Hegnhoj J, Hansen CP, Rannem T, et al. Pancreatic function in Crohn's disease. Gut 1990;31:1076-9.
37. Pizzorno JE, Murray MT. Textbook of Natural Medicine. London: Churchill Livingstone, 1999, 1335-49.
38. Plein K, Burkard G, Hotz J. Treatment of chronic diarrhea in Crohn disease. A pilot.