Fireplaces and Wood Stoves Linked to Dry Eyes and Lung Problems

Do you have a fireplace or a wood stove that helps keep you cozy this winter?  A new study published in the journal Chemical Research in Toxicology describes how indoor air pollution caused by wood smoke have been linked to various lung problems.

Researchers describe how inhaling wood smoke particulate matter has been linked to heart disease, asthma, and bronchitis.  It is likely that the inhaled wood smoke is also carcinogenic.


Indoor fires can also dry up the air, and dry air has been linked to dry eye syndrome. Be sure to run a humidifier in these dry winter months.  Learn more about how to prevent and treat dry eye symptoms.