COLD CUCUMBER SOUP
Too many cukes in your garden? This is a fantastic way to use up the summer cukes on a hot evening. Very refreshing and very different. 2 medium sized cukes for 5 cups of soup, it takes about 5-10 minutes to make.
2 good sized cucumbers:
- If they are old and tough, peel them, if not, still peel one of them.
- Cut unpeeled cuke in chunks and put into your food processor
- Cut the other into quarters, lengthwise, remove the seeds and add the seeds to the food processor
- Then cut the quartered cuke into ~ 1/4" thick slices or wedges and put into a bowl
- Add to the food processor & puree:
- 1 T lemon juice
- optional variation - try lime juice, and add extra cilantro to the mix
- 1 T mild honey
- 1 1/4 t salt
- 1 1/2 t freshly ground cumin
- pinch cayenne
- Add to the food processor & blend briefly
- 1 c plain yogurt
- 1/4 c cream
- 4 oz tofu
- 1/4 c chopped fresh cilantro
- Add the pureed stuff to the chunks of cuke in the bowl, and refrigerate until you serve it
- To serve, top with chopped chilantro or parsley. Chutney is also really delicious on top.
- PS - this recipe works pretty well for tender zucchini, try it w/ tomato chutney or lime pickle.