Ocular rosacea is a reddening of the eye’s white area. The cornea can also be affected, especially if you have dry eyes. Rosacea is mostly known as a skin condition, however, this condition can affect the eyes. The redness is from inflammation. Ocular rosacea can happen with or without the skin type. Symptoms include dry eyes, light sensitivity, eyelids that are red or swollen, frequent eye styes, recurring conjunctivitis, redness, and itching, stinging or burning. Patients are often between the ages of 30-60, fair skinned, light hair and eyes, menopausal women, and more often women than men.
Causes seem to include both genetics and environment. Anything that makes skin rosacea worse can also make ocular rosacea worse. For example, temperature extremes, sunlight, hot caffeinated drinks, spicy food, heavy exercise, saunas and hot bath, and stress can bring on an outbreak.
How to Support Ocular Rosacea
Doctors reserve oral medications for the worse cases of ocular rosacea, and their use is temporary. Physicians and eye doctors may recommend artificial tears. After diagnosis from a doctor or ophthalmologist, the patient needs to take good care of their eyes. At Natural Eye Care, we recommend:
- Meticulous hygiene. Therefore, gently wash eyelids daily.
- Do not rub the eyes.
- Place a clean, wet, warm washcloth on the eyes several times a day. Remove when it cools.
- Do not wear contact lenses or eye makeup during an outbreak. Eye makeup between outbreaks should be organic and removed completely at night.
- Wear sunglasses outdoors.
- Blink while at your computer and take breaks.
Controlling inflammation is important for combating rosacea. Studies have shown that Omega 3 fatty acids combined with turmeric reduces inflammation throughout the body.
Some eye drops reduce dry eye and increase comfort. MSM drops soften the eye’s membranes, increasing the absorption of moisture and nutrients.
At Natural Eye Care, we have assembled two specialized supplement packages for ocular rosacea.
Rosacea Package 1 includes four supplements:
- HydroEye Support for Dry Eyes are softgels. A double-blind study showed they reduce inflammation and dry eye symptoms.
- Turmeric, a well-researched anti-inflammatory supplement.
- Tear Stimulation Forte Homeopathic Eyedrop for dry eye symptoms.
- MSM Drops directly put in the eye. For increasing nutrient absorption and eye moisture. MSM also has natural anti-inflammatory properties so helpful for red, irritated eyes.
Rosacea Package 2 includes all the supplements in Package 1, plus two additional oral supplements:
- Carlsons Fish Oil Gelcaps to provide Omega-3 Fatty Acids. Combined with Turmeric, high-quality fish oil is superb at controlling inflammation.
- VisionTone Formula is a traditional Chinese vision support formula for cataracts, dry eyes, light sensitivity, and more. It is based on a classic Chinese Kidney Yin tonic which helps reduce inflammation, supports water metabolism throughout the body, reduces menopausal symptoms, supports bone health and overall health.