Cataracts in Dogs and Cats
Cataracts are common in older dogs and rarely in older cats. You might notice a milkiness in your pet's eyes as they age. They are due to changes in the fibers in the lens of the eye which are found behind the iris and the pupil. A healthy lens is transparent and used for focusing to enable clear, sharp vision, and through the lens adjustments enable dogs or cats to see things clearly, up close and far away.
Can-C Eye Drops
Eye lens support. Free Shipping, Quantity Discounts
Cineraria Homeopathic Eye Drops (15ml/.5 oz)
Traditional homeopathic remedy for cataracts, especially for beginning cataracts.
Visioplex Formula for Pets 200 capsules
Includes nutrients & antioxidants to support eye health & healing.
BIO-C Formula for Pets 113 gms
Sodium Ascorbate with Bioflavonoids
Cataracts in dogs or cats often occur if they have diabetes, and are found in older pets that have immune disorders, a chronic disease, chronic skin problems, hip dysplasia and ear problems.
The senile type is most common and tends to occur simultaneously in both eyes.
The following breed of dogs are more at risk: Afghans, Cockers, Chesapeake Bay Retrievers, German Shepherds, Golden retrievers, Labradors, Schnauzers, Old English Sheepdogs, Huskies, Poodles, Westies and Springers.
Although the exact cause of cataracts in dogs or cats is not known, chemical changes within the lens may contribute to cataract development. Other factors such as genetics, congenital defects, eye infection, trauma to the eye, nutritional deficiencies (especially carotenoid deficiencies which are the red, orange and yellow plant pigments that give fruits and vegetables their vivid colors and provide potent antioxidant protection), exposure to heat or radiation, toxins, eye disorders or diabetes may also be associated with cataracts.
It has been our experience that natural remedies for cataracts in dogs and cats have been extremely useful. See the remarks by pet owners of animals with cataracts.
- Cineraria is the traditional homeopathic remedy found in the Ophthalmology section of the Physicians Desk reference for over 25 years as a treatment for cataracts. The government of India has stated that "Cineraria is the nutrient of choice to halt or reverse cataracts." Homeopathy ignites the healing process, nutraceuticals provide the fuel.
- Vitamin C with bioflavonoids is recommended as a general supplement.
- Eyebright and bilberry, two herbs integral to holistic cataract treatment, are helpful for pets.
Can-C & Dogs - Research
Control Study: Thirty dogs, (60 eyes) received topical application of Can-C 1% N-acetylcarnosine eye drop solution twice daily to cataracts.
- Improved visual behaviour of the animals within weeks of treatment.
- Cataract reversal starts from the periphery of the cataract followed by increased transparency of the lens.
- 96% of canine eyes treated with N-acetylcarnosine (Can-C) showed notable improvements.
- Dogs with both immature and ripe cataracts showed significant visual improvement.
Current Drug Therapy, 2006, Vol. 1, No. 1 107 - Excerpt from; "Treatment of Age-Related Cataracts in Canines" - Mark Babizhayev MA PhD