Optic Nerve Inflammation
Optic nerve damage impacts vision at the most fundamental level causing severe vision loss. The optic nerve is like a cable of more than a million tiny electrical wires, or nerve fibers each carrying a part of the visual information to the visual cortex in the brain. If these nerve fibers become damaged, the brain doesn't get all the vision information and our sight becomes blurred.
Not sure which to get?
For help call us at 845.255.8222
Complete Product List
Optic Nerve N-Support Package 2 (3 months)
Optic Nerve Support for Swollen Optic Nerve Saves $31.98
Optic Nerve N-Support Package 1
Optic Nerve Support Package
Saves $16.16 off retail
Advanced Eye & Vision Support (whole food) Formula 60 vcaps
Whole food, wild crafted herbal vegetarian formula with vision antioxidants, chemical and preservative free.
Retinal Support (wild-crafted herbal formula) 2 oz
This wild-crafted herbal formula by Dr. Grossman based on classic Chinese patent formulas to help support the retina and reduce general inflammation.
Viteyes Optic Nerve Support Formula - 90 tablets
Supports healthy optic nerve function
Krill Oil, 1000mg 60 softgels
Supplies omega-3, EPA, DHA, Vitamin A
Natural anti-inflammatory agent.
AminoPro (Aminoguanidine) 75 mg 90 tablets
Anti-glycating nutrient for eye and cardiac support.
Dr. Grossman’s Bilberry/Ginkgo Combination 2oz (60ml)
Bilberry/Ginkgo Wild crafted extract formula
- Nutritional deficiencies. Because one type of optic neuritis - nutritional optic neuropathy - results from nutritional deficiencies, good nutrition is critical for healthy optic nerves. Nutritional optic neuropathy arises especially due to vitamin B12 and folic acid deficiencies. Certain nutrients such as lutein, vinpocetine, l-lysine, bilberry, alpha lipoic acid, magnesium and a number of other vitamins & enzymes and omega-3s support optic nerve health.
- Daily Juicing is a good way to maximize the nutritional value of your diet. For the optic nerve we especially recommend a combination of some of these: ginger, parsley, beets, cabbage, carrots, endive, chlorophyll, wheat grasses, berries (all organic preferably). See more on juicing.
- Antioxidants. There have been a number of studies indicating the oxidative stress is a factor in optic neuritis incidence and antioxidants may play an important role in treating the condition. For example, one study found that reducing oxidative stress on mitochondria in lab animals reduced myelin fiber injury by 51% and loss of retinal nerve ganglion cells four-fold.5
- Lipoic acid. In lab animal models, injections of lipoic acid were found to significantly improve both early and developed optic neuritis inflammation.4
- Blueberry. A condition known as juvenile idiopathic arthritis is one of the autoimmune conditions where optic neuritis may accompany the condition. Researchers found that adding blueberry juice to a drug, etanercept, produced better results in reducing inflammation than the drug alone.1
- Gypenosides. Researchers have determined that gypenosides, from a Chinese medicinal plant might help protect the optic nerve.3
Because damage to the optic nerve can result from toxins and some medications, we recommend avoiding smoking which exposes the body and optic nerve to cyanide. In general consult carefully with your doctor about your medications and possible side-effects. This includes large-dose vitamin A, some heart medications, and some medications for malaria, diabetes, tuberculosis, some antibiotics, and oral contraceptives.
As with all other eye conditions, exercise is an important factor in your vision health protocol.
Most patients find that normal vision returns without any special treatment. For those with severe vision loss, treatment with intravenous corticosteroids in high doses sometimes speeds up recovery. A swollen optic nerve usually improves over several days to weeks, but may take months for complete restoration of normal vision.
After the Optic Neuritis Treatment Trial in 1992, doctors determined that treatment with intravenous steroid drugs (not the oral steroids) reduces the risk of later developing MS - an important connection because about half of people who suffer an an initial episode of optic neuritis will develop MS. While this process has little effect on vision, it appears to be very important for health overall.
By using a special kind of MRI for the brain, doctors are now able to pinpoint exactly where the inflammation lesions are located - in the eye cavity, in the optic nerve canal, where the optic nerves cross each other, or further out toward the skull. This ability makes prognosis more accurate. Swelling and inflammation that is not located in or close to the cavity of the eye socket is less serious and more likely to result in recovery in a relatively short period of time.
1. Blueberry Improves the Therapeutic Effect of Etanercept on Patients with Juvenile
Idiopathic Arthritis, 2015.
2. Blood plasma levels of microelements in patients with history of optic neuritis, 2014
3. Gypenosides might have neuroprotective and immunomodulatory effects on optic neuritis, 2014
4. Lipoic acid decreases inflammation and confers neuroprotection in experimental autoimmune optic neuritis, 2001
5. X. Qi, Suppression of mitochondrial oxidative stress provides long-term neuroprotection in experimental optic neuritis, Investitations in Ophthalmology and Visual Science, February, 2007.