Retina Support: Photoreceptors
A number of inherited eye problems in the retina arise from mutations or dystropy of the photoreceptors - the rods and cones of the eyes or the retinal pigment epithelium (RPE).
- Cones are the photoreceptor cells which allow us to see fine details and color and comprise our central vision. Different types of cones absorb different wavelengths of light: blue (420nm), green (531nm), and red (588nm). This also gives us a clue as to why color blindness exists - one or more of these types of cones may function poorly.
- Rods allow us to see in low light conditions and provide peripheral vision.
Not sure which to get?
For help call us at 845.255.8222
Retinal Support RE Package 1 (3 month supply)
Antioxidant combo & extra Vitamin A
Advanced Eye & Vision Support (whole food) Formula 60 vcaps
Whole food, wild crafted herbal vegetarian formula with vision antioxidants, chemical and preservative free.
Don't miss the multiple bottle discounts
Saffron 2020 30 vcaps per bottle
Supports circulation, fights photo-oxidative damage, supports nerve synapses. This product is OUT OF STOCK. Please see Saffron Optimized 60 Vcaps as the replacement.
Krill Oil, 1000mg 60 softgels
Supplies omega-3, EPA, DHA, Vitamin A
UBQH 100mg 60 softgels
GMO free bioactive form of CoQ10.
Visoluten (Retinal Peptide) 20 tabs
Peptide bioregulator for retinal & optic nerve health.
Stem Cell Worx® 3.5 Fluid Oz.
Stem cell & tissue repair supporting formula.
Microcurrent Stimulation 100ile Purchase Option
helps improve circulation & reduce waste build-up
Vitamin D3 5000 IU 120 caps
Easily absorbable form of Vitamin D.
Vitamin A Palmitate capsules
For night & color vision, cornea & tear production.
The genetic code controls the protein-based molecules of pigment in the photoreceptor cells, called rhodopsin in the rods and iodpisin in the cones. Mutations which are primarily inherited can cause formations of deposits called bone "spicules" on the retina, or cause the photo receptors to deteriorate. 25% to 30% of photoreceptor defects are caused by mutations in the rhodopsin gene.
Some mutations of the photoreceptors begin in childhood, others may develop later in life.
Retinal photoreceptor mutations and dystrophy are considered incurable, however gene therapy shows some promise. Visual field testing is used to reveal abnormalities. Future treatments may involve gene therapy (some of which already have "orphan drug" status - for drugs that treat rare diseases), artificial retinal implants, retinal transplants, stem cells, nutritional supplements, and/or drug therapies. A 2012 animal study replaced photoreceptor cells where no host cells remained with transplanted rod precursor cells that reformed an anatomically distinct photoreceptor layer.14
The progression of this condition can be reduced by the daily intake of 15000 IU (equivalent to 4.5 mg) of vitamin A palmitate.13 Recent studies have demonstrated that proper vitamin A supplementation can postpone blindness due to retinitis pigmentosa by up to 10 years. Other studies have shown supplementing with nutrients such omega-3 fatty acid, DHA, lutein, vitamins E, C and alpha lipoic acid can help preserve vision.
Do not take impotence drugs such as Viagra. Viagra obstructs an enzyme that sends light signals from the retina to the brain. Doctors have known for several years that it could cause temporary vision problems in healthy men, but a 2014 Australian study found its effects can be permanent.16
- A specific acupuncture protocol developed for retinitis pigmentosa shows promise in improving dark adaption, visual field and visual acuity. See the research on acupuncture and retinitis pigmentosa15.
- Product review for RP
- Following these eye support recommendations can help manage healthy vision.
- Some research indicates that daily use of microcurrent stimulation may help preserve vision as well.
There is extensive research on nutrients such as vitamin A, lutein, zeaxanthin and bilberry among others that have been shown to be essential for the health of the rod-cone structures. Based on these studies, Dr. Grossman has selected specific nutrients and products to help support this part of the eye and overall eye health. Some research on macular degeneration or retinitis pigmentosa may be applicable.
13. Vitamin A (2004), DHA, Omega-3 Fatty Acid and Retinitis Pigmentosa,
Vitamins A / E (1993) & Retinitis Pigmentosa
14. Reversal of end-stage retinal degeneration and restoration of visual function by photoreceptor transplantation, Singh, et al, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, January, 2013.
15. Ava K. Bittner, OD, PhD, Jeffrey M. Gould, MEd LAc, Andy Rosenfarb, ND LAc, et al., A pilot study of an acupuncture protocol to improve visual function in retinitis pigmentosa patients, Clinical and Experimental Optometry, May, 2014
16. L. Nivison-Smith, et al., Sildenafil alters retinal function in mouse carriers of retinitis pigmentosa, Experimental Eye Research, November, 2014.